- Barcelona is the second largest city in Spain, after Madrid, and is the capital of Catalonia (autonomous community in the north-east of the Iberian Peninsula). Barcelona has a population of 1,621,537 habitants.
- Barcelona is Europe's largest metropolis on the Mediterranean Sea, It´s also the sixth-most populous urban area in the European Union (EU) after Paris, London, the Ruhr, Madrid and Milan.
- It is located on the Mediterranean coast between the rivers Llobregat and Besos and is bounded to the west by the Serra de Collserola ridge.
- Barcelona is one of the world's leading tourist, economic, trade fair/exhibitions and cultural-sports centres, and its influence in commerce, education, entertainment, media, fashion, science, and the arts all contribute to its status as one of the world's major global cities.
- According to the legend, Barcelona was founded by the Carthaginians and the city supposedly derives its name from the great Barca family of Carthage.
- The most visited tourist attraction is the FC Barcelona's football stadium, it is also the biggest stadium in the world ( for 100,000 people ) owned by a private club.
- The official language of Barcelona is Catalan, which combines French, Spanish and other Romance languages. Catalan goes back to the late 12th century in official documents and by the 14th century it became one of the most widespread languages in the region.
- It is said that driving around Barcelona can be dangerous, so if you will be driving, be careful. It is reported that an accident occurs every 19 seconds during the week. On weekends, this increases to one every 10 seconds. People find it safer to walk than to drive.
- In 2007 Barcelona's City Council started the Biking service Bicing, a bicycle service understood as a public transport. Once the user has their user card, they can take a bicycle from any of the 100 stations spread around the city, use it, and then leave it at another station.
- Barcelona has a long sporting tradition and hosted the successful 1992 Summer Olympics as well as several matches during the 1982 FIFA World Cup.
- The best time to visit Barcelona is around late May through to June, or September, when the temperatures are between 20 - 25 degrees. But to tell the true, really any time is a good time to visit Barcelona. The weather in winter is surprisingly mild, and because you find fewer tourists you can pick up some great deals on flights and apartments. And if you prefer more tropical temperatures, go to Barcelona in August, because is a perfect time to hit the beaches and top up the suntan.
- La Rambla is the major center of activities in Barcelona. It is an iconic & busy street in central Barcelona. It is the place where you can enjoy delicious Spanish food at many restaurants, and find the finest places for shopping. It's an extremely popular place, with an average of about 150,000 people walk along it every day.
- The major centre of activities is a large street called La Rambla, It´s an iconic and very busy street in the city centre of Barcelona. There you can enjoy delicious Spanish meal or tapas ( tapas are usually deemed as a wide variety of small plates whether delicious snacks, finger foods and appetizers or just a small portion of a special dish in Spanish cuisine ), La Rambla is an extremely popular place, with an average of about 150,000 people walk along it every day!!
People were also interested in: